MSP Extremely Concerned Caithness Airlinks Will Suffer Long Term Damage

Highlands and Islands Labour MSP David Stewart (pictured) is extremely concerned that Caithness airline links will suffer long term damage as coronavirus takes its toll.

Mr Stewart wrote to Transport Secretary, Michael Matheson, and First Minister, Nicola Sturgeon, after Loganair announced the axing of its Edinburgh-Wick service which takes place this Friday, March 27.

The MSP had previously asked the Scottish Government for swift action following the collapse of Flybe when the Wick-Aberdeen route was taken over by Eastern Airways which previously ran it under a franchise for Flybe.

Mr Stewart argued that the Wick-Aberdeen service was fragile due to falling passenger numbers.

Mr Matheson has now replied that he understood Eastern Airways had stopped its Aberdeen service from Monday this week with the suspension continuing to at least April 20 and subject to developments with coronavirus which has hit every airline in the region.

“I understand that the Government has to concentrate on the coronavirus crisis and people should be staying at home, so any movement is restricted and I totally back that,” said Mr Stewart.

“But the writing was on the wall for these routes last year when I asked the Scottish Government to consider backing a Public Service Obligation on both, a move which would have been welcomed by local groups and individuals.

“As it stands Wick will have no airline flights to Aberdeen and Edinburgh from the end of this week until at least April 20.

“If a PSO had been progressed, there could have been protection given so the links were in place when the country recovers.

“The airlines could have been there for the transport of key workers or other resources during this crisis.

“The axing of one service and the suspension of the other is truly worrying in the longer term and I will continue to press for ring fencing both the Wick Aberdeen and Edinburgh routes when the coronavirus crisis is over.”

Mr Matheson said he understood the issue faced by Caithness due to the loss of the Wick-Edinburgh service and more generally.

He added:

“We are considering carefully the business case submitted by Caithness Chamber of Commerce and will respond in due course.

“I am sure that you will appreciate, however, the wider issues that the Government is collectively dealing with during the Covid-19 crisis.

“While we respond to the business case as soon as we can it will not be immediate.”